Thursday 24 October 2013

AND I'M OFF INTO THE CLOUDS, DON'T KNOW IF I WILL FIND MY WAY BACK DOWN

Wearing: Tee - Dotti

I've been back in Coober Pedy for a good few months now. I didn't have the best luck here last time, but things have got so much better.
 
Coober Pedy is a weird little town. When you first arrive you'll notice all the red dust, the flies and the fact a lot of people live underground. A lot of tourists pass through town on their way to Uluru, Alice Springs or Adelaide and this is all they see.
 
As I have been here a while now, I have seen past the towns little qwerks and it really feels like home. To me, Coober Pedy is a place where strangers will give me a lift when I'm walking in the rain or the 40 degree heat. Where the local supermarket will let me take my shopping home and pay for it the next day when I didn't have enough money on my card. Where the nurse who gave me a hepatitis jab invited me to play golf with her family after finding out its on my list of things to do before I leave. And where I have made great friendships with a group of people who have been friends for years.
 
People often ask me why I have stayed here for so long and it's hard to explain to people who are only here for a day or two. It's a town that you either love or hate and I have fallen for it hard. I only have a few weeks left here now before I head off to Thailand for 4 weeks and I'm incredibly sad to be leaving.
 
My year is Australia will be up on the 19th November and I can't believe how quickly it has gone. It really has been the most incredible experience and I can't wait to come back. To any one who is thinking of going travelling, but has doubts, I urge you to take the leap. It will be the best thing you ever do.
 
If you ever find yourself in Australia, I would definitely recommend coming to Coober Pedy. As they say 'don't judge a book by its cover'. Get to know they place, stay here for a while and speak to the locals. Coober Pedy's reputation is worse then it actually is. I think you'll enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment